All of my good DIY ideas come to me while I’m in the shower, like this one…
I have no idea why, but I’ve been into modernized retro pieces lately. Actually that’s bullshzz, I’m into it because of all the attention that Mad Men, Great Gatsby, and Rachel Zoe have been getting. Anyway, when I was in the shower I thought about color blocking old shift dresses with lace. The thing is, I didn’t feel like sewing… I wanted to see if I could turn out an old dress with nothing but a glue gun. Everything turned out amazing, this is one of the easiest DIY’s that I’ve ever done. Here’s how I did it…
I began with an old shift dress, you could also get away with using a slouchy tee-shirt dress. A shift is more structured, so it does tend to be easier to werq with.
I don’t mind this dress. It’s not ugly, but I never wear it. The sleeves caused the dress to cling in a weird way, and cinching the waist was no help. The fabric was a heavier knit (probably made for fall), but because the sleeves were poofy it was hard to wear with a cardi or jacket.
I started off by removing the sleeves. Instead of using a seam ripper, I turned the dress inside out and cut as close to the seam as possible (with fabric scissors of course). It took a little while to remove each sleeve. I considered cutting the seam off, but I didn’t want to deal with hemming.
Getting the seam to stay down was a bitch (it was heavy), and holding it in place until dry just wasn’t an option. I did the next best thing… grabbed a handful of bobby pins and used them to hold the seam in place. It was a brilliant idea, I was able to tan the day away while my dress dried.
When the glue dried, it was time for the lace blocking. I haven’t ruined any lace dresses recently, so I had to take a trip to Joann’s. As soon as I walked in, I spotted the perfect fabric. It wasn’t exactly lace, but whatevs… close enough.
This was the hard part… I was in a serious pickle, cutting this fabric into a straight line almost made me have a mental breakdown. I got really frustrated and probably spent about 2 hours attempting to cut a straight line. Eventually, everything worked out. I ended up using two separate strips of fabric, instead of one large one. One strip along the front of the dress, and one in the back.
I lined the fabric up exactly where I wanted it, and left about an inch of fabric hanging off the bottom of the dress. Using a glue gun (with fabric glue sticks), I gently set the fabric into place. I glued a thin line across the top of the “lace” and pressed down firmly. When I reached the seams, I glued along each seam, pressed the fabric down firmly, and cut off the extra fabric. Once the top portion of the fabric was dry, I flipped it and reversed it (the dress), tucked the excess fabric under, and glued… this part was easy. The top of the dress seemed bare, so I added three oversized buttons for more of a 60’s feel. I don’t mind sewing buttons, it only takes a sec.
Don’t forget to enter my April Giveaway, I’m giving away a NYX Be Free palette (for the full giveaway post click here).
all you have to do is…
- Follow this blog. If you’re on WordPress click the follow button. If you’re not on WordPress, you can follow me via email (scroll down to the bottom right hand corner)… I’m a good time, so you won’t regret it.
- Follow me on Twitter @RockinAroundThe
- Like me on Facebook
- Leave a comment to this post, stating your favorite hair product. I’m getting bored with mine and need some new products to werq with.
You have until Friday (5/3/13) to enter. I will randomly select a winner and announce it on Saturday 5/4/13 via blog post, Facebook, and Twitter.
Rock Out With Your Frock Out*